in May of 1958, Edward Govoni, Howard P. Crowell, Alvan B. Perry, James O.
Strain, Bernard (Bunny) C. DiPietro, Daniel B. Murphy and Robert M. Slade got
together and decided to form the Shawme Fish and Game Club, Inc. The Corporation
was filed with the Commonwealth of Massachusetts on May 22, 1958.
purpose of the club was:
promote the interests of Fish and Game sport, to protect the fish and game sport
in Massachusetts, and to promote such legislation as may be beneficial thereto;
the propagation of fish and other wildlife, stocking of ponds, feeding of fowl
and all other, and all other activities necessary and incidental thereto, to
operate a rifle range for members and children of member with instruction on the
proper use of firearms; to hold clambakes, and other social activities; and to
raise funds for any of the above purpose, and in general to do whatever else
properly may be incidental to such purpose; and to conduct a club providing for
the refreshments, entertainment, exercise, and social diversion of its members,
and incidental to the purpose the corporation shall have the right to apply for
and use a license to sell alcoholic beverages.
thereafter it was decided that a parcel of property should be pursued as a club
location. The Selectmen of the town of Sandwich were approached and a parcel of
land was purchased or was to be purchased, where the power plant now stands on
the Cape Cod Canal. This was short lived however as the parcel being more
desirable to the town as a power plant it was either never conveyed to the club
or was reconvened by the club to the town. As an incentive to leave the canal,
the Selectmen for the sum of one dollar, deed the club the land we now use as
well as a three acre wood lot in what is know as the ridge district of the